Saturday, March 15, 2008

Finally getting back to caches

Finally picked up a couple more caches.  Found two caches and almost found another in Lincoln, IL.  It was too cool for me to find these on bicycle but they certainly could have been found by bike.  One of the ones I found was GC12P3Q, Tribute to Flight, is beside the Heritage in Flight museum at the Lincoln, Illinois, Air Force museum.  One of these days I want to go to the museum, which I understand is very nice.   Picked up a TB there and dropped off a geocoin.  It's a really nice cache.   Another I found was No Cash Cache GCH2X1 an urban micro in dire need of help at this point.  I didn't have an extra log or other stuff to help it out or I'd have taken care of it. The best one would have been the one I ALMOST caught, of course. It was a multi featuring several of the connections this little midwestern town, Lincoln, IL, had to Abraham Lincoln.  It was the first town named after him before he died, for instance. Anyway, I got to the final stage of GCA848, Abe in Lincoln, and within about 200 feet of the cache in a nice park when my GPS batteries died.  Of course, that NEVER happens when I have extra batteries.  I'll have to go back again this spring and try it again.    All of these caches could easily have been done by bike.  This last one would be best done by a mountain bike, at least the last 1/3 of a mile of it.   One of these days I'll list some of these on my webpage on bike trails suitable for bicycling. I'm going to try to do a list of caches and, I hope, benchmarks near the old Route 66 as I bike ride it from near St. Louis to Chicago.  I'll probably do it in two trips of at least two days each.  

No comments: